RDi compile statement wrong, so no error log return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDi compile statement wrong, so no error log return

When I right-click a source member in Rational and right-click -> Remote Actions -> Compile -> CRTBNDRPG, the Commands Log shows:

SBMJOB CMD(CALL QDEVTOOLS/QRBRUNCL PARM(Q000000046)) JOBD(MYLIB/QBATCH) INLLIBL(*CURRENT)
    Job 123456/USERNAME/QBATCH submitted to job queue QBATCH in library QGPL.
    CALL QDEVTOOLS/QRBRUNCL PARM(Q000000046)

The compile command is run, but I do not get any error log back into RDi

I am the only RDi user on my LPAR so I have no-one else on it to compare with.
    When my colleague on a different LPAR submits an RPGLE compile in the same way, his Command Log shows:

SBMJOB CMD(CRTBNDRPG PGM(MYLIB/MYPGM) SRCFILE(MYLIB/QRPGLESRC) SRCMBR(MYPGM) OPTION(*EVENTF) DBGVIEW(*SOURCE) REPLACE(*YES)) JOBD(MYLIB/QBATCH) INLLIBL(*CURRENT)
    Job 123456/USERNAME/QBATCH submitted to job queue QBATCH in library QGPL.
    CRTBNDRPG PGM(MYLIB/MYPGM) SRCFILE(MYLIB/QRPGLESRC) SRCMBR(MYPGM) OPTION(*EVENTF) DBGVIEW(*SOURCE) REPLACE(*YES)

He sees a proper compile command instead of QRBRUNCL, and does get an error log back into RDi

Does anyone know why my RDi is calling QDEVTOOLS/QRBRUNCL for compiles insteas of CRTBNDRPG?

Unfortunately for me, Rational Developer is a recent thing for the company I work for and support is minimal.

Re: RDi compile statement wrong, so no error log return

Go the menu item Compile(G) an select Work with Compile Commands. Then select the CRTBNDRPG command - the command used should show up there.

You can have multiple compile commands defined for a type - typically you have CRTBNDRPG and CRTRPGMOD - it sounds like you may have additional one(s). Make sure that your options for CRTBNDRPG and CRTRPGMOD are what you want. Next time you compile, go to Compile(G) and select the one you want. After that you can select the Run Compile command without prompting icon as it uses the last one you used.

Comment

Thanks Rocky, but that is not the issue. I do not have additional compile commands defined.

If I right-click -> Remote Actions -> Compile -> CRTBNDRPG, I am selecting the original preset CRTBNDRPG command
      If I do a Work With Compile Commands and look at CRTBNDRPG for RPGLE, I see this:
      CRTBNDRPG PGM(&O/&N) SRCFILE(&L/&F) SRCMBR(&N) REPLACE(&R) OPTION(*EVENTF) DBGVIEW(*SOURCE)

This is also what I get if I Compile (Prompt) CRTBNDRPG.

So as far as I can see I am telling RDi to use a proper CRTBNDRPG command, but instead of submitting that command it calls QRBRUNCL which must somehow indirectly run the CRTBNDRPG command.

Comment

Solved with the help of IBM support.

It turns out that I was compiling Projects source, whereas the users I was comparing with were compiling remote source via the RSE, and these work differently.

Remote source compiles SBMJOB the CRTBNDRPG compile statement, you get sucess/fail info in the Commands Log tab, and the Error List tab auto displays with the compile messages

Projects source compiles SBMJOB CALL QRBRUNCL, you do not get sucess/fail info in the Commands Log tab, and the Error List tab does not auto display with the compile messages. You can manually make the Error List display by going to the Job Status tab, Right-Clicking on the submitted Compile job (once it has completed), and selecting Task Actions -> Retrieve Errors.

If you uncheck the ?Run compiles as batch jobs? setting in ?Window -> Preferences -> i Projects -> Build and Compile?, then Projects source compiles will work exactly the same as remote source compiles.

Comment

Working...
        X