ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RDi Workspace Cache folder - what's in it, can I clear it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDi Workspace Cache folder - what's in it, can I clear it?

I would prefer my workspace to be on the network so it's always backed up. I tried that, but it made RDi unusably slow.

So I have it on my C drive, and I regularly back up the Workspace folder to the network. This backup is also slow, because of the huge number of small files in the workspace (tens of thousands).
    To speed this up a bit I use a Windows Powershell script to zip the workspace and then copy the zip. NBot ideal, but the best I could come up with.

Today I looked at why there are so many files, and I found that the vast majority are in "\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\com.ibm.etools.iser ies.subsystems.qsys\cache"

Since it's cache, I assume it can be safely cleared? What would I lose by clearing it?
    * Cached file definitions for Verification/Outline view?
    * Cached /copy source members for Verification/Outline view?
    * Cached source members that I left open when I last closed Rdi?
    * Anything else?

Things I don't want to lose:
    * Connection settings
    * Rdi settings
    * Custom RSE Filters
    * Projects
    * Perspectives (current and others that I have tweaked)
    * Historic source versions for sources in Projects

Ideally I would like to be able to clear the cache folder every now and then, and exclude it from the workspace backup.

Re: RDi Workspace Cache folder - what's in it, can I clear it?

I suspect you could clear the contents of the directory - but there's an easy way to test it.. copy your workspace, clear the cache and then start RDi - if it dies or you lose functionality you can copy the contents back.

Comment

Re: RDi Workspace Cache folder - what's in it, can I clear it?

I should have thought of that
      I will try it, thanks

Comment

Yep, a bit of testing, some mote research, and exploring the contents of the folder, and I see now that it seems to be just locally cached file specifications from the server. I was able to delete it and saw no noticeable changes (though I expect some verifications/outline view building would have been slower as it had to redownload the specs for the referenced files)

Comment

Working...
        X