ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WDSC 7.0 on my pc. Are there tools to do all the stuff BUT not connected to AS400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDSC 7.0 on my pc. Are there tools to do all the stuff BUT not connected to AS400?

I have just being a new member and have some unanswered questions ...
    I have bought "Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries"
    version 7.0.0 with Eclipse included to work on my pc at home.
    I thought I could work with it alone without being connected to the AS400 ...
    but this is not true. Please correct me if I am wrong ...
    Is there a possibility that I can work on sources (rpg modules, service pgm, pgm) which I have installed on my pc, compile, make corrections, recompile? Even debug?
    But what about the files (physical, logical files), how can I access them when I am not connected with an AS400? Is there a possibility to create files on a pc?

I also read on your forum about the
    LPEX editor. Is it better then the Eclipse editor? Can it do more?

I have send this mail to the administrator and they told me that there are certainly tools to do all the stuff at home without being connected to an AS400. Can anyone please, help me with this?

Jean from Belgium (Europe)
    I am an analyst-prgrammer living in Belgium.
    I am working almost 12 years on IBM series with the language RPG and RPG/ILE.

Re: WDSC 7.0 on my pc. Are there tools to do all the stuff BUT not connected to AS400

Jean,
    Welcome to CODE400! I will try to answer your questions. I am sure if I am wrong, someone will correct me.

When you open a source member to modify, it save a copy on your PC. You can also copy them to your PC manually. One of the features included is "Verify" which basically checks the source to verify that it will compile. The Verify function find the file information and saves it in a cache. If you are later offline, you can still verify, as long as you have not added new files to the program that are not already in the cache.

So you can edit, and to some extent, verify compile and six errros, while offline.

But no, you don't actually compile the RPG programs, nor debug, while not connected. Nor can it check files that it hasn't previously checked.

The LPEX editor is the editor included with WDSC, and is probably what you are using. Its like the generic eclipse editor, but has the extentions for RPG so it does some syntax checking while you are entering text, and does some formatting for you. Two features I really like is "Outline" and the "F1" help that opens up the programming manual based on where the cursor is.

I haven't actually used it offline (I connect with a VPN from home), so if this is not exactly right, someone correct me !

Comment

Working...
    X