Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coomunication of others systems with iSeries by Display files

Hi,

I want to communicate with iSeries from other systems (windows systems) by display files or display screens.
    Could you please suggest me how to achieve this using JAVA client ? or is there anyother language (Eg. Visual Basic) for achieving this ?

Because, my program PGM-X receives the input data [in certain fields of a display file DSPFILE-X] from other system(Eg. windows systems). It processes the information received and display the output in some fields of the same display file, then other system reads the output response to know the result of the processing.

NOTE : From the other system (Eg. Windows system), they connect to iSeries using a iSeries USER ID.

Please help me with your this ideas/suggestions/solutions on this.
    I would appreciate your valuable time and help in this.

Thanks,
    Pandian.

Re: Coomunication of others systems with iSeries by Display files

dataq's, dataq,s and maybe dataq's.
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Hi Jamie,
      do you really believe, that this noob really nows anything about DTAQ's??
      People who really have the idea, that it is the correct way to incorporate business logic in other applications by interpreting the output of a display file, have a lot to learn ...

Just my 0.02 €
      Sven

The best way to prove your knowledge is to share it ...

Comment

Hello Mr.sms_mitschs,

Please do read my question carefully... i asked for the way to communicate only thru dispaly file/screen and it does not mean that i never heard about data queues.

I want to communicate with iSeries from other systems (windows systems) by display files or display screens.
        Could you please suggest me how to achieve this using JAVA client ? or is there anyother language (Eg. Visual Basic) for achieving this ?
        As it is a existing system in iSeries, we can not modify this display file communication.
        That is the reason, i have to only communicate thru display screens of iSeries.

Can you understand me ???

Comment

Hello Pandian,
          if you really think that your way is the only way to go, then you have to write a parser to intercept and interpret the 5250 datastream. Because I do not know anything about the application on the IBM i you want to communicate with, nor do you tell us what you want to get, I only can suggest what you are trying.

Btw. I already have read carefully your post, thats for sure, and simply your question forced me to my former reply.

Afaik there is no ready-to-go-solution for your problem. The only idea which comes in my mind is to intercept a telnet session which runs the application.
          Sven

The best way to prove your knowledge is to share it ...

Comment

Originally posted by kpandian
            Hi,

Because, my program PGM-X receives the input data [in certain fields of a display file DSPFILE-X] from other system(Eg. windows systems). It processes the information received and display the output in some fields of the same display file, then other system reads the output response to know the result of the processing.
            If I understand correctly, you need to access display file and do a transaction without human interaction. one option is..
            IBM HATS is capable of converting display screen to webService (not only web pages). So convert your display screen to WebService using HATS - then your input fields will be soap input and output fields will be soap output. Then let other system to consume webservice using any client (java or dotNet..ect).
            but I'm not clear at all...

Thanks
            Last edited by dhanuxp; December 10, 2011, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Is it possible to get the data you need from reading an *Input trigger on the file that the display file is processing?

I havent tried the HATS method, but if it can quickly generate a webservice from a program screen, I would probably go that route.
              Michael Catalani
              IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
              Acceptance Insurance Corporation
              www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
              www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Working...
              X