Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code Review Tool

Hi All,

I am planning to have kind of tool which will be doing code review. Need to know any body did it earlier. Looking some suggesstion to proceed.
    Regards,
    Vinothkumar S.

Re: Code Review Tool

A little too open of a question. This could mean so much that we could write a big block and still miss what you want.

What do you mean by code review? what do you want to accomplish?
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Hi,

Currently we are doing our code review manually. Meaning if any body modifies the existing code then they need to comment the old code and not just delete it...etc. As well if i have SP's then all SP should have Commit=*NONe....

So i am planning to have kind of tool, which will scan through and tell me these are modification needed.
      Regards,
      Vinothkumar S.

Comment

all i can say is good luck with that! how can you definitively determine programatically what needs to be modified, etc? just curious. i can say that it would likely take you YEARS to recoup the cost of writing a tool that could do that with any type of accuracy.
        I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Yep, a challenge for sure.

i'd start with a command, and have it then create an Alias over the member you want to look at. Then use a cursor and fetch each line of code. The issue will be with how do you handle the source change date. Does anyone muck up and change the source date by accident. What tool are you using for the source code. Pdm? I use Rpg Next Gen. I nukes all source dates of every line. No clue what RDP does. So if you find a line of new code, you have to go back how many records to look for commented code? What happens if you find 4 lines of new code, or a new procedure? Are there blank lines between old code and new.

As for the Commit=*None, that's easy enough.

If you use a change management too, this is totally mute. And if you are , I do not comment out old code. Kill it. The code in the program should be the active code.

If you don't use CM, you should and then you won't have to care about the tool. As you can compare a member to member.
          Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Working...
          X