Query/400 Discovery Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query/400 Discovery Tool

I haven't seen this posted on this site. For those not familiar with it, it will allow you to retrieve a lot of data about your queries and best of all it's FREE.

There is also a stored procedure: Print_Query_Definition that will allow you to print queries by passing it the query object name and library. The article in the following link discusses how to use this and also discusses the query discovery tool.

Re: Query/400 Discovery Tool

I would be sad to find anyone one using query/400.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

I think you will become suicidal if you realized how many are still using it.

Comment

They must be the same folk who buy top hats, buggy whips, news papers, flip phones, land lines. You get the picture. Just because you can does not mean you should or even permit it.
        Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

i'm trying to remove users from having access to it but it's a hard sell to some of them and considering they can drastically affect my paycheck i will always have a few users that will have access to qry/400...not all of us have a choice. but my personal preference would be to remove it completely off the system...
          I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Does anybody here know how Web Query relates (a) to QM queries and (b) to the "discovery tool" in this thread? I don't have Web Query for testing.

It seems Web Query would be the biggest rational reason to continue with Query/400 (and later) if it can only be a Query/400 front end. Simply having hundreds, or more, of old *QRYDFN objects gives some reason to keep supporting Query/400 until conversion is completed; but that in itself isn't sufficient, IMO, to continue upgrading as OS releases go by.
            Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Web Query is the replacement for Query/400 and QM Queries. It is not a front end. The Query/400 Discovery Tool is used to find all Query/400 Query Definition (*QRYDFN) objects on your
              system, retrieve their attributes, and sort them into a series of tables. The data in these tables can then be analyzed to find trends in your reporting environment. So this would be useful in
              analyzing your existing queries as you prepare to migrate them to Web Query or something else. At a minimum it provides a easy way to determine what queries a file is used in.

Comment

XrefIT v1.23 (free version) also reports on Query/400 objects i.e. the files used within the query as well as which objects run the query itself.
                Regards

Kit
                http://www.ecofitonline.com
                DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Originally posted by DAG0000 View Post
                  Web Query is the replacement for Query/400 and QM Queries. It is not a front end.
                  Well, that pretty much eliminates it as any kind of reason at all. I'm more confused than ever what the draw is for Query/400. That's especially since the majority of questions I've seen over the years have been from apparently new users who didn't seem to have co-workers with any experience.
                  Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

The draw is that it came included with the system. In the future your going to have to ask for it. This is no different than SEU/PDM in that you need to start planning on migrating from it. I can already see all the forum posts from people complaining about SEU when they cant make use of the new free format changes.

Comment

Web Query is chargeable, isn't it? And it's not cheap as I recall. I think I asked our IBM business partner about it once and he said he only had one customer using it... didn't sound very popular, and it sounded complicated to get working. Are my impressions incorrect? Does anyone here have experience with it?

And as DAG0000 says, if Query/400 is already on the system, then that's one big point in the plus column if a company doesn't want to spend money. I'm not a fan of Query/400. I had NGS IQ at my last place and liked it much better.

Comment

web query is expensive compared to other alternatives imo. i played around with it myself for a little while but we have Cognos, Lotus Notes & I can sometimes write programs that work so web query never got unleashed into the wild here...
                        I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                          ...if Query/400 is already on the system, then that's one big point in the plus column if a company doesn't want to spend money.
                          The sites I get most curious about are ones that have the SQL Dev Kit. The SQL feature includes QM, so why have both? And the 'Prompted' mode of QM can be so similar to Query/400 that transition isn't a lot different from just upgrading a product and seeing new functions show up. When QM is available, why choose to use Query/400?

Mostly I'd expect it first to be the name. It catches attention easier since QM is less visible.
                          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomliotta View Post
                            The sites I get most curious about are ones that have the SQL Dev Kit. The SQL feature includes QM, so why have both? And the 'Prompted' mode of QM can be so similar to Query/400 that transition isn't a lot different from just upgrading a product and seeing new functions show up. When QM is available, why choose to use Query/400?
                            This really shouldn't be a big surprise.

1. the interface for Query/400 is simpler and more intuitive than QM. QM is based more in the SQL realm, which wasn't historically used a lot until the past 10-15 years (best guesstimate on the range). Only time I see programmers use it is when they need to pass parameters to a query.

2. The majority of programmers on this system are notorious for never updating or learning new coding techniques. That also translates over to the use utilities like Query/400. I would not be surprised if many of them have never made the attempt or can not be bothered to use or learn about anything else.

Comment

The flip phone is used by many. Where can I get a buggy whip?

Comment

Working...
                              X