ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remapping Keyboard to eliminate using 'fn' key.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remapping Keyboard to eliminate using 'fn' key.

I have the latest version of IBM i Client Access solution 1. 1.8.6.
    My new PC keyboard has an 'fn' key which is to the left of the windows key.
    The only way I can use any of my function keys (F1 - F24) is to press the 'fn' key down at the same time.
    I was hoping I could remap the keyboard to avoid having to press the 'fn' key.
    I tried to remap the keyboard in key assignment, but it doesn't seem to recognize the 'fn' key.
    Does anyone have any insight on this?

Ron

My laptop does that, but I just reconfigured the laptop to make the F-keys the default and make the Fn functions the ones that require the Fn key.

In ACS 5250 under Keyboard, Category Host Functions contains the F-keys (PF1-PF24). I've never mapped them, but that sounds like the place to start.

Comment

I tried that but it didn't work. Unless I did something wrong.
      Under Keyboard assignment, I went into host function. Highlighted PF3, clicked assign a key, then pressed 'fn' and F3 at the same time, then received message box warning "PF3 is currently assigned to Pf3. Reassign to Pf3?' I clicked yes. But it is not working. Still need to hold 'fn' key down at same time as F3 for f3 to work.

Comment

• jtaylor___
        jtaylor___ commented
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like you're mapping PF3 to fn + F3. That's probably what's already there. You'll need to map it something else. Try mapping it to just F3. I have my doubts about that working (it depends on what the keyboard sends for the F3 key). Otherwise you'll either have to fix the keyboard (BIOS or software), or map the F-keys to something completely different.

jtaylor, yeah I tried mapping F3 to F3 but same results. This is a desktop, unlike a laptop it does not let me update the bios to disable the 'fn' key. I don't want to have to use other keys to perform the same function as the F keys (F1 - F24) since i'm so used to using the F keys. Looks like my only option is to buy another keyboard that does not include the 'fn' key.

Comment

• jtaylor___
        jtaylor___ commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand completely. I was pulling my hair out with the laptop until I got it fixed. There might be something you could config in the keyboard drivers/software in Windows. I know some fancy keyboards actually have their own config utility you can install. Good luck

Fn + F? key do not go well with IBMi, certainly!! I always wonder which smart guy thinks that the F? key needs to combined with Fn by default ! I use the F2 key with Excel very often, and it would be a pain to use Fn+F2 each time. Anyway, I believe most keyboards should have a Fn-lock function. Just need to find out how to do it. It could be activated by Ctrl+Fn, Shift+Fn, etc (ie all kinds with some other keys)

Comment

• jtaylor___
        jtaylor___ commented
        Editing a comment
        Many users have no idea what F-keys are, so manufacturers cater to them. On my laptop, they defaulted to things like volume up/down and mute.

As Dennis See said, there is probably a way of locking Fn on or off.

I suspect that the "Fn" key logic is entirely self-contained within the keyboard, so my advice would be to check the keyboard manual

Comment

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is a way of turning the Fn key on or off. This is an HP keyboard that came with my brand new HP Win 10 Desktop. HP support says there is no way of disabling it. With laptops it can be disabled within the BIOS but not with desktops.

Comment

Very sorry to hear that. Enforcing Fn to use function keys with no way to lock it on/off is bad design on HP's part. I hope you fed that back to HP support.

Seems like your only option apart from simply putting up with it, would be a new keyboard.

Comment

Yep complained to HP supervisor about it. Explained how inconvenient it is. They told me it is not just HP who has this design and they made a note of it. They'll review how many of their HP users this affects. Compared to how many it doesn't affect. We can guess what they'll do about it.

Comment

Yeah, the problem is very few applications in the modern world use the F-keys. You don't see them too much outside of applications that were written for old 70s or 80s not-programmable terminals.

That said, you may want to look around the BIOS menu of the computer. For example, my ACER laptop was the same way, the F-keys controlled stuff like speaker volume, screen brightness, etc (unless you were holding down the Fn key). However, in the BIOS there was an option for the opposite behavior, where the F-keys were normal, and Fn was required for the screen/sound functions. Its my understanding that BIOS options like this are commonplace.

Comment

• Vectorspace
                Vectorspace commented
                Editing a comment
                Less so unfortunately when it's a discrete (I assume USB) keyboard, as opposed to an integrated keyboard

Scott unfortunately unlike the BIOS on the laptop, there is no way of disabling the 'fn' key on the desktop in the configuration. Not sure if that is the case for all desktops but that is the case for HP.

Comment

Working...
              X