• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay this is an interesting read

Is big brother watching?

let me know what you think
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Re: Okay this is an interesting read

Jamie,

Very interesting! The lengths they (Microsoft) go to really astounds me. And for what reason? Why the hell would they care? Gonna have to do some prowling around tonight just to see if it's true.

MdnghtPgmr
    "Tis better to be thought a fool then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

im all over it myself..........Linux rules Firefox & thunderbird all i miss is photoshop guess i can continue to WINE (sorry : linux user joke)

happy wednesday ALL !

www.code400.com

Comment

Originally posted by jamief View Post
        im all over it myself..........Linux rules Firefox & thunderbird all i miss is photoshop guess i can continue to WINE (sorry : linux user joke)

happy wednesday ALL !
        Photoshop? Have you tried GIMP?
        Jonas Temple
        Got FROG?
        Got Tadpole? No, because it's not done yet! Stay tuned....

01010111 01100001 01110011 01110011 01110101 01110000 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100111 00111111

Comment

no i havent --- I really like photoshop and over the years have become
          "used" to it.....I know I should try GIMP. After my recent advventures with
          VISTA I may just do that

jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

There's a great book I got at Border's that walks you through using GIMP. I don't remember the exact title but it's something like "Beginning to Advanced GIMP".
            Jonas Temple
            Got FROG?
            Got Tadpole? No, because it's not done yet! Stay tuned....

01010111 01100001 01110011 01110011 01110101 01110000 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100111 00111111

Comment

Originally posted by jamief View Post
              Is big brother watching?

let me know what you think
              عزيزي المستخدم،
              عفواً، الموقع المطلوب غير متاح.
              إن كنت ترى أن هذه الصفحة ينبغي أن لا تُحجب تفضل بالضغط هنا.
              لمزيد من المعلومات عن خدمة الإنترنت في المملكة العربية السعودية، يمكنك زيارة الموقع التالي: www.internet.gov.sa

Dear User,
              Sorry, the requested page is unavailable.
              If you believe the requested page should not be blocked please click here.
              For more information about internet service in Saudi Arabia, please click here: www.internet.gov.sa

I think you're winding me up again ...
              Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

sorry I forgot you were in the land of milk and honey
                3.1. IF YOU HAVE EVER USED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER

1) Shut your computer down, and turn it back on. 2) While your computer is booting keep pressing the [F8] key until you are given an option screen.
                3) Choose "Command Prompt Only" (This will take you to true DOS mode.) Windows ME users must use a boot disk to get into real DOS mode.
                4) When your computer is done booting, you will have a C:\> followed by a blinking cursor. Type this in, hitting enter after each line. (Obviously, don't type the comments in parentheses.)

C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV (Loads smartdrive to speed things up.)
                CD\
                DELTREE/Y TEMP (This line removes temporary files.)
                CD WINDOWS
                DELTREE/Y COOKIES (This line removes cookies.)
                DELTREE/Y TEMP (This removes temporary files.)
                DELTREE/Y HISTORY (This line removes your browsing history.)
                DELTREE/Y TEMPOR~1 (This line removes your internet cache.)

(If that last line doesn't work, then type this

CD\WINDOWS\APPLIC~1
                DELTREE/Y TEMPOR~1

(If that didn't work, then type this

CD\WINDOWS\LOCALS~1
                DELTREE/Y TEMPOR~1

(If this still does not work, and you are sure you are using MSIE 5.x, then please e-mail me. If you have profiles turned on, then it is likely located under \windows\profiles\%user%\, while older versions of MSIE keep them under \windows\content\.)

This last one will take a ridiculous amount of time to process. The reason it takes so incredibly long is because there is a ton of (semi-) useless cache stored on your HD.

5) Immediately stop using Microsoft Internet Explorer and go with any of the alternative browsers out there (e.g., Netscape 4.7x from netscape.com, Mozilla from mozilla.org, or Opera from opera.com).

FYI, Windows re-creates the index.dat files automatically when you reboot your machine, so don't be surprised when you see them again. They should at least be cleared of your browsing history.

www.code400.com

Comment

So what exactly does this do and what problem is it attempting to alleviate?

Comment

The whole site is dedicated to showing you that even though you use the provided microsoft tools to delete your web travels/cookies and other files (email in particular)
                    the data still remains on the system in hidden folders that are not show even if you select show all folders from the control panel..... The instructions are showing you how to remove those hidden files.

www.code400.com

Comment

From the "Big Brother" side of things, it also gives a means of finding out where your staff are going to if you think there cruising "innappropriate sites" and you don't already have a way to monitor. I can think of a couple companies who I've worked with who were sure there were people up to no good but were having trouble proving it and this might have helped.

It also means that if anyone of you are involved in things you should not be and are hitting improper sites then you better clean up your disk ... of course no one around here would do that sort of thing so it doesn't really apply

Comment

It says above "MSIE 5.x" - same same for MSIE 6.x or MSIE 7.x ?
                        Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

An even more interesting read ....

EasyStartRPG

John McKay
                          jmckay@mckaysoftware.ie
                          http://www.rpglanguage.com

Comment

Working...
                          X