REXX fun... for someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REXX fun... for someone

Many years ago, I was looking at one of the original ELIZA programs written in BASIC, and I wondered how it would work in REXX. I did a conversion and got far enough that it worked, but never far enough that it worked any better than that early BASIC version. There's never seemed to be a good time to dig into methods more advanced nor to enhance the simple ones already in the code. I glance at it every couple years or so, but that's as far as my motivation goes.

One irritation I've had with IBM and REXX/400 is that they've left it at Version 4. I've long hoped they would at least update it or replace it with Object REXX. Though it's possible to install and run Object REXX in PASE, it'd be nice to have it as the default system REXX.

Lots of variations of ELIZA exist. Many were made far more sophisticated, and later generations became actually useful. This is not one of those. It's fairly accurate conversion of a 1985 version that might be the first.

If anyone wants to see how it runs and how it can be improved, have at it.

Tom
    Attached Files
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Re: REXX fun... for someone

thanks for sharing Tom...
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Working...
    X