Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy/Paste between Windows and AS400

Hello everyone,

I couldn't find a search function on this forum, so after checking a few pages for a look-a-like question I decided to post one of my own.

At my work we still use an AS400 system. Problem is: some users can't copy data from Windows into the AS400, even though most of our users can... As I have completely 0 experience with AS400 systems, I have no idea where to look... Could anyone perhaps help me out with this?

Thank you very much in advance!

Re: Copy/Paste between Windows and AS400

There's a search option at the menu bar at the top of the screen. It's right between new posts and quick links.

I suspect you're problem is that you're using client access and haven't set up the keyboard mappings for copy and paste. There are still icons to perform these functions but if you want to use CTRL C/V you need to map these keys. To do this go edit-preferences-keyboard and then select customize.
    Ben

Comment

Thanks for the answer! However, I'm afraid that's not it. The menu items also don't work. There really is no possibility to copy and paste data between Windows apps and AS400. It's kinda strange...

Comment

Are you using Client-Access as screen/keyboard/printer emulator ?
        Philippe

Comment

Not entirely sure (I'm at home right now) but I believe we do.

Comment

when you get back to work please let us know what emulator you are using..

thanks
            Jamie
            All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
            and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Command line emulator options
              Learn about command line options for iSeries™ Access 5250 emulator.

The format of the command line to invoke a 5250 emulator session is:
              ibm5250 iSeries_system_name optional_parameters
              where:
              * ibm5250 is the application name and is case sensitive.
              * iSeries_system_name specifies the name of the server with which the 5250 emulation session communicates.
              The name is a host name or an IP address. The user is prompted when this field is not specified.

* optional_parameters specifies optional parameters.
              -BLOCK_COPY specifies that the 5250 emulator defaults to block copy, as opposed to linear copy, when marking an area for copy or cut. Block copy occurs by a double click of the mouse button while linear copy means pressing and dragging the primary mouse button to mark the desired area. If this option is not specified, linear copy is the default.
              -NO_COPY_PASTE specifies that the emulator does not allow copy, cut, or paste into or out of the emulator session.
              -SESSION_COPY_PASTE_ONLY specifies that the 5250 emulator only allows copy, cut, and paste within the emulator session.
              -COPY_PASTE specifies the emulator allows copy, cut, and paste into and out of the emulator session.

Try optional_parameter -COPY_PASTE

Comment

Hello guys,

I'm at work now, and the client I use is Personal Communications.

Marc, I'm looking into your answer, but I checked the shortcuts on some PC's that don't have any problems, but they don't contain any of this code, so I guess my problem is somewhere else. Still, I will try your solution and let you know whether it worked.

Thanks!

/edit
                I tried it again at the PC where it didn't work yesterday. Somehow, today everything works fine... So my problem is solved (at least for now). I will come back when I need your help again!

Thanks all for your quick help :-)
                Last edited by lunanoko; October 30, 2008, 05:01 AM.

Comment

As most of us I use iSeries (or Client) Access emulator and don't know how to do a copy & paste function using Personal Communication emulation package.
                  However check out this page from IBM site, this maybe could help you.
                  Philippe

Comment

Working...
                  X