Debugging unused fields in a program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debugging unused fields in a program

Hi, i am used to programming on other languages and platforms, and am shocked to find out that if you debug a field from a file that isn't explicitly declared, read, updated or whatever in a program, it always returns either 0 or blanks.

Is this a limitation of the strdbg program, the iseries platform or is there a way to debug/compile the application that will support this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Debugging unused fields in a program

Hi fjleon:

Bypassing un-used fields in debug is not a limitation ........ rather it's a feature. Most people don't want to be bothered with un-referenced fields. Actually most of the people I know use option(*nodebugio). If you really want to see the un-used fields use debug(*input)

See here:

Best of Luck
    GLS
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Thanks, i will try this option, but i differ with you, i think that it is not a feature that i don't see the values of fields that i don't directly update or use, because it can be misleading when you are using a read or chain and find some value but if two files have a field with the same name and later you do an update for example (without using eval for each field) then you can't know in a debugging session what values are being stored.

Comment

DBGVIEW(*LIST) and don't use OPTIMIZE...optimize will cause you some debugging headaches like you are describing...
        I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Working...
        X