Not able to open spool file error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not able to open spool file error

The system's spooling subsystem was created over 20 years ago and hasn't had much modernization. It works well enough, but can have some timing issues when it has to manage a large number of files as jobs start and end, spool new reports (including joblogs) and print existing ones, delete some, change attributes, etc.

Faster, bigger systems can usually do it better. With a few data points, it might be possible to extrapolate number of spooled files plotted against DASD/memory just to get a hint whether there might be a problem under some circumstances.

Tom
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

At a former place, there were always tons of month end spools. We extracted them all to pdf, put them on a dvd. That way they could be ignored there instead of being ignored on the beast. saved tons of space.

Trying to look at what went wrong 2 months ago is next to impossible. If its that important can you add a log table to the program. If you have an error you could email out the issue to operations.
      Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

As long as this is an isolated incident, I agree. No other jobs reported a problem, so there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done.

I've never agreed with keeping large numbers of spooled files on the system. To me, a spooled file is created to be printed. It's more important to ensure that the data is preserved than some spooled version of it. If a copy is needed, then some image form (e.g., a .PDF) for off-line storage should be generated.

But I do get curious...

How many spooled files are on members' systems?

Tom
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManWalks View Post
          At a former place, there were always tons of month end spools. ...
          I remember those days! At a site I was at in the early 90's, we printed (on average) about 70km of printouts at month-end. Mostly "Gosh" reports. M/E also ran from 23H00 Fri till (about) 17H00 Sun. On a bad M/E, it would run till sometime Tue. Wasn't funny at the time, but if I think back on it now...
          Regards

Kit
          http://www.ecofitonline.com
          DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Working...
          X