Help with SNDDST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with SNDDST

Currently I am using the SNDDST command to send daily emails to existing iSeries users who are setup in the directory (WRKDIRE).

We are trying to send out generic emails to non-iSeries users. Setting everyone up on the iSeries doesn't seem the way to go.

I started out by simply issuing the command: ===> SNDDST TYPE(*LMSG) TOINTNET((myhomeaddress@something.net)) DSTD('Put E-mail Subjec t Here') LONGMSG('This is an E-mail message sent from my iSeries system .')

I received the "Send distribution completed successfully" message, but never received an email. I looked at my SMTP settings, and as far as I can tell, they are correct. I also looked at the INTERNET GATEWAY entry and it matches to that I have seen online. I also looked at DSPDSTLOG. There, under Function Type, is the *ORG for the initial message followed by and *ARV and then a *RTR. I do not see the two followup entries for the daily emails that work.

We have our own Exchange server running in-house - do I need to setup the user INTERNET (or something else) from the iSeries in order to get this to work? Or am I completely missing something obvious?

Thank you in advance,

Re: Help with SNDDST

Hey bud, I'd go with the free MMail ( http://mmail.easy400.net/). What you are trying to do in SndDst is not suited for it.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

I looked into that as well, I was trying to avoid going that route. It just seems like over-kill since all I want to do is send out a generic email from time to time.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

What version of the O/S are you on? If you have it available, using the new native command SNDSMTPEMM might be the way to go. Simple and straightforward.

Comment

V7R1M0...I'll look into it.

Thank you.

Comment

Now when I try this command, I get an "email address invalid " error on the iSeries. But the email that is in error is not the one I put in the recipient field of the command. It looks like it is trying to generate a return address...but I do not see where it is getting the name and domain from.

Comment

Hi geojf

Check out this link to be sure you are set-up correctly:

Best of Luck
              GLS
              The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

It may be referring to the sender email address. I think the sender needs to have an entry in the system directory (WRKDIRE) and an associated SMTP email address entry (F17 from the WRKDIRE user), which you can see with WRKNAMSMTP.

Then you should be able to send emails using SNDSMTPEMM very simply without issues! Let us know.

Comment

If you are using the Exchange Server as the SMTP relay from the IBM i, you need to allow the relay in Exchange. If you drill into the Hub Transport rules on the Exchange server, there is a place to "allow relay" from the IP address of the IBM i.

What is probably happening in the SNDDST is that the Exchange thinks its a malicious relay and is throwing it away (thus no reject rmessage).

Comment

Originally posted by arrow483 View Post
                    If you are using the Exchange Server as the SMTP relay from the IBM i, you need to allow the relay in Exchange. If you drill into the Hub Transport rules on the Exchange server, there is a place to "allow relay" from the IP address of the IBM i.

What is probably happening in the SNDDST is that the Exchange thinks its a malicious relay and is throwing it away (thus no reject rmessage).
                    I think you may be right about that...but unfortunately we have Exchange 2003..and that does not have Hub Transport rules.

Comment

Another update:

I was able to add a relay using the iSeries ip in Exchange....and SNDSMTPEMM works fine! Thank you all for the guidance

Now I just have to see if I can get a list of emails that were sent this way.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X