Query/400 Discovery Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Query/400 Discovery Tool

@Mark - In my part of the country ...easily accessible ... and I'm totally serious!

@DAG0000 - I encountered this today at the client site I am currently working at. They have me working on a project to import an excel file into the 400 ... but I can't do it the way I learned how at my previous employer from questions asked here at code400 - which is to convert the file to csv or tab delimited and use the CPYFRMIMPF command. Nooooo ... I have to perform this long drawn out process. And the reason I was given ... your way is nice but this is the way we've been doing it forever and well they (supposedly upper management) won't like it if we start changing the way we do things. SERIOUSLY I can remember a time when I would drag my feet on learning something new ... but now ... I'm like TEACH ME ... PLEASE. I can understand why DeadManWalks wanted to beat his head against the wall when he first started working at our previous employers .. I was a numb skull back then.

Comment

Re: Query/400 Discovery Tool

Originally posted by DAG0000 View Post
      the interface for Query/400 is simpler and more intuitive than QM. QM is based more in the SQL realm
      That's only true if you choose to switch to 'SQL' mode. By default, it's 'Prompt' mode which isn't easy to distinguish from the Query/400 user interface, especially for an inexperienced user. The 'Prompt' QM interface is even a little simpler for creating a query than Query/400 and just as intuitive.

Where it possibly becomes more complex would be in the separate "form" definition interface. That is, by having a menu option for queries and a second option for reporting forms, the two areas can each be simpler. But it can be a little less obvious how the two work together. There's little doubt, though, that QM forms are superior to Query/400 reporting while being only a little more complex.

Regardless, it misses the main points.

One point is that during the past decade there is almost certainly more experience with basic SQL by new users before ever running into an AS/400. That would be true of new developers as well as any kids coming out of college. MS Access alone should give a feeling of recognition.

But more importantly, it's the presence of the SQL Dev Kit. That implies development, and it implies use of SQL. If there are SQL developers, then assistance with QM queries is available on staff. The beginner questions about Query/400 implies lack of local help with Query/400. So, why use it?
      Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Working...
      X