RPG Out Dated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPG Out Dated

Does anyone have some facts or comebacks for when you get told that RPG is so out dated and it's a dead language and therefore we should move to ??? language? Of course the suggestion to move is alway from another coder who doesn't know rpg but java, php etc.
    Stand up for what you beleive in ...... even if you are standing alone

Re: RPG Out Dated

Tell them RPGLE is not outdated, but some of the people who use it are..
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

LOL gee thanks!

Comment

Look to the heavens and say "Forgive him (her), for (s)he knows not of what he speaks."
        "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

Come on --- You know you laughed when you read it!
          All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
          and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

ask them why RPG is on the rise??? http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html if it's outdated then why is it gaining ground??
            I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

I continue to be amazed by those who know next to nothing about the capabilities of IBM's AS/400. iSeries, i5, System i, i, etc, but somehow feel qualified to debunk the machine, label it as "legacy technology" to convey the idea it is no longer viable, in a feeble effort to support the yet-to-be-proven theory their UNIX or Microsoft based technologies which include, more often than not, JAVA, C++, .NET can replace the workhorse. Some companies have tried (BFI, JPMC) and failed. I often hear stories about how the head office guy (rich with college experience about networks, etc.) comes in from HQ to lambaste IT's venerable iSeries, declare it obsolete, embark upon a multi-million dollar project to redesign and rewrite their strategic systems using the above mentioned suite of technologies and release the majority of their iSeries developers as they begin. Running out of time and money management decides to (ahem) go back to the iSeries once they realize their GUI based dream system isn't really ready for prime time. And the corporate guy touting the virtues of his GUI-stuff? He's gone.

I've been in the Java development world since 1999. Unlike the iSeries with Work Management, RPG, DDS, CL and the DB to learn and use, applications written for the browser to be delivered by servers represent a cornucopia of dissimilar technologies. Some of it was designed by companies, others were designed by the open source community.

To list the server-based technologies, there are the browsers and their differing behaviors, HTML, DHTML, XML, Javascript, Java Server Pages (JSP), Struts, Java Server Faces (JSF), Java, Servlets, Object Oriented Design and Programming which is to include the multitude of design patterns, JDBC, SQL, Messaging, .jar-file management (Maven), IDEs such as Eclipse, team development strategies and management thereof (Rational Unified Process, Scrum, etc), frameworks (Spring, et.al.) and database abstraction frameworks (Hibernate, et. al.).

Looking at the software components used, each one represents a link in a delicate chain. If the RPG world is a babbling brook, then the server world using these technologies is the Mississippi River. In short, just because it's new and exciting, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better and offers productivity gains.

The fact remains that very little of the technologies used by the browser world were designed with a cohesive view. Each component came along in its own time and made to work with the existing chain of technologies already in place. Sometimes they rendered some as obsolete (JSP vs JSF).

If I were to be given the mission of designing a technology for browsers and deliberately designed and developed this Frankenstein of components, I'd be fired, black listed and cast away to forever be known as "that crazy guy" who designed it. One other thing.... when was the last time you heard of a network of iSeries machines being infected by a virus?

Comment

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
                ask them why RPG is on the rise??? http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html if it's outdated then why is it gaining ground??
                Those language ratings are based on search engine results. RPG has 0.77% compared to 17.99% for Java! I would say that it is only demonstrating that recently more web material has been added for RPG proportionately. It also says that JavaScript is down 2% to 1.5% but you can't tell me that JavaScript is on the decline?
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                  I continue to be amazed by those who know next to nothing about the capabilities of IBM's AS/400. iSeries, i5, System i, i, etc, but somehow feel qualified to debunk the machine, label it as "legacy technology" to convey the idea it is no longer viable, in a feeble effort to support the yet-to-be-proven theory their UNIX or Microsoft based technologies which include, more often than not, JAVA, C++, .NET can replace the workhorse. Some companies have tried (BFI, JPMC) and failed.
                  The most famous company to have tried, and failed, was Microsoft.
                  Michael Catalani
                  IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
                  Acceptance Insurance Corporation
                  www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
                  www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Wow thanks so much folks this has helped me tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelCatalani View Post
                      The most famous company to have tried, and failed, was Microsoft.
                      I thought Microsoft had migrated off their AS400's years ago?
                      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by BenThurley View Post
                        I thought Microsoft had migrated off their AS400's years ago?

Thats what they want you to think

I dont know what they run in-house or outsourced now. I remember way back (early 90's??) an edition or Midrange Computing or News 3x/400 came out with an advertisement from Help systems showing an award being given to their "1000th" customer - Microsoft. At first, we were like "yea right, help systems 1000th customer just happened to be a major corporation like Microsoft. Then the discussion turned more into "Microsoft is running an AS/400?" Then it blew up on Microsoft in the mid-90's when Microsoft was pushing their back-office systems to replace AS400's, because we continuously used the comeback line that if Microsoft couldn't get their own business off the 400 and onto back office, what makes any other company believe they can do it? MS took a lot of heat over it, tried for years to get off the platform, and finally made a statement in the late 90's that there were no 400's at Microsoft. They were busted asgain though when it was discovered that they simply hired (or created) an outsourcing company that took control of the AS/400's, so technically Microsoft didnt have any AS/400's. But their operations still ran off of the AS/400's.
                        Last edited by MichaelCatalani; January 5, 2011, 11:22 AM.
                        Michael Catalani
                        www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

There used to be a "Welcome" video for Windows XP that contained an image of a row of AS/400's from Microsoft's offices. I'll see if I can find it.
                          "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

I found it here:

C:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\htmlTour\best_fr.htm

MdnghtPgmr
                            "Tis better to be thought a fool then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by MdnghtPgmr View Post
                              I found it here:

C:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\htmlTour\best_fr.htm

MdnghtPgmr

lol, yep, an the caption says something like "room full of servers".

Click image for larger version

Name:	img149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	126340
                              Michael Catalani
                              www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Working...